Site Arche Noah
ARCHE NOAH, an Austria and Brussels based seed savers’ association, is looking for an experienced and motivated Advocacy Coordinator to work for a more sustainable and agrobiodiversity-friendly CAP.
For more than 25 years, ARCHE NOAH and its 14000 members have been preserving and cultivating endangered vegetable, fruit and grain diversity. We do this both through practical activities, such as the operation of a seed bank with 5500 seed samples and cooperation with plant breeders and regional farmers, as well as political advocacy work. We stand up for policies in the EU and Member States that promote agricultural biodiversity and small scale agriculture, and ensure healthy and tasty food. Achieving fundamental reform of the EU’s Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) is our core long-term goal.
Duties and responsibilities:
Reporting to the Head of Policy and working closely with the ARCHE NOAH board, the new CAP Advocacy Coordinator will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a long-term, successful advocacy strategy for a CAP focused on biodiversity and other sustainability goals towards Member States and the EU institutions;
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with relevant stakeholders both in Brussels and the Member States;
- Represent ARCHE NOAH in meetings with political decision-makers and at public events;
- Implement ARCHE NOAH’s campaigning activities in relation to the CAP in close cooperation with the other team members;
- Support flexibly and as appropriate ARCHE NOAH’s other policy priorities.
Qualities and experiences:
- A strong vision of a fundamentally changed CAP focusing on biodiversity and how that change can be achieved, as well as the ability, motivation and flexibility to advocate for it;
- A profound understanding of how decisions on EU agricultural policy are made and how to effectively influence them;
- Excellent networking skills and the ability to independently manage a demanding dossier;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Fluency in other European languages (especially German) is a strong asset;
- A degree in agronomic, environmental or political sciences (or equivalent professional experience) and at least 6 years’ relevant senior experience in policy or advocacy.
ARCHE NOAH offers:
- A permanent contract;
- A yearly gross salary from EUR 50.000, based on the level of experience;
- A challenging and worthy cause to advocate for in an international, highly motivated and dynamic working atmosphere;
- Space for personal development and contributions to policy reform.
Applications, consisting of a letter of motivation, a CV and answers to a short questionnaire (see below), should be sent to email@example.com by no later than 5th December 2017.
A first round of interviews will be held in Brussels in the week of the 11th December 2017.
Questionnaire for candidates:
Please answer the following three questions (not more than 15 lines per question):
- Which elements of the current Common Agricultural Policy pose a fundamental obstacle to sustainability and agro-biodiversity? Which elements could be retained, although reformed?
- Which actions are needed to drive a paradigm shift in the upcoming CAP reform towards a truly sustainable agricultural and food policy?
- In practical terms, how can results be achieved with the EU institutions?
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à firstname.lastname@example.org