Site The Mentor Initiative
Position Title: Consortium Finance Officer & Finance & Administration Coordinator (one person position)
Base: Bangui, with some travel to field locations for all Consortium partners across the country
Reporting to: MENTOR Country Director and MENTOR HQ Finance & Compliance Manager
Member of the Capital Management Team in Bagui (presided by Country Director and further consists of Logisitcs coordinator and Health Program Coordinator)
Start date: ASAP
Duration: 12 months
Closing date: until suitable candidate is found
Fee: 3,500 – 4, 000 USD / month, depending on experience
Applications sent without a letter of motivation will not be considered
The MENTOR Initiative (MENTOR) is a “not for profit”, charitable, non-governmental organization devoted to reducing death and suffering from malaria and other Vector Born Diseases in humanitarian crises. MENTOR is currently providing ongoing emergency support to the most vulnerable communities in Liberia, Angola, Kenya, South Sudan, the Central African Republic (CAR), Syria and Southern Chad. MENTOR has worked in CAR since 2008, instigating an effective and innovative community healthcare approach across the North West of the country. This approach allows for primary healthcare to be delivered in locations in the most remote rural communities
Overall Job Purpose:
Consortium Finance Officer
Since October 2016, MENTOR will become the Lead Agency of a DFID funded consortium of NGOs which focuses on improving healthcare delivery across a select group of regions in CAR. The consortium is currently being funded for a remaining period of 15 months (duration of 24 months). The Consortium Finance Officer will work within a Consortium Coordination team managed by a Consortium Coordinator. The Consortium Coordination team further includes the MENTOR Medical Coordinator and a Technical Placement. The Consortium Finance officer will, with support from a MENTOR HQ Consortium Finance & Compliance Manager, be responsible for ensuring the financial integrity of the consortium, ensuring that; all partners are adhering to rigorous compliance standards and that financial reports to donors and partners are carried out in a timely and proficient manner.
The main responsibilities of this post include:
Consortium Financial Management:
- Coordinating all of the in-field financial aspects of the multi-year, multi-million pound project across all partners
- In collaboration with the Consortium Coordinator, and reporting to the Consortium Finance & Compliance Manager, the Consortium Finance Officer is responsible for the gathering of financial data at reporting dates and the preparation of the consortium’s quarterly financial reports
- Assisting the HQ Consortium Finance & Compliance Manager with ensuring field level compliance to all legal aspects of the grant agreement between MENTOR and DFID and the sub-agreements between MENTOR and other consortium partners
- Working with the Consortium Coordinator and the logistics departments of the various consortium partners to explore ways of ensuring value for money, for example by purchasing items jointly and sharing transport costs
Consortium Financial Integrity:
- Scrutinise partner financial reports to monitor partner burn rates and forecast, as well as working with partners to investigate any discrepancies or irregularities;
- Scrutinise partner paperwork to ensure that all procedures and compliances are being adhered to as far as this is possible in-field;
- Ensure that all suppliers across the consortium have been subject to relevant security checks, including but not limited to OFAC check, UN check, SAM check
- Act as the focal point for all in-country financial requests from consortium partners
- During in-field audit, act as the focal point to help the auditors access the information they require in a timely manner
- Liaise with relevant Government Ministries, where necessary and in collaboration with the Consortium Coordinator or other local partners on any financial matters regarding the consortium
- Assist with any other administrative tasks as required by the Consortium Coordinator or MENTOR Country Director
- Take part in any Consortium Coordination meetings and briefings
- Organise for regular meetings with finance coordinators from the partner organizations.
- Track lessons learned in terms of finance / compliance and share regularly with partners throughout project implementation
- As required, travel to partner field sites to ensure the financial integrity of operations in these sites and to ensure that spending is as per reporting and that relevant compliance measures are being followed
- Focal point for all fraud suspicions and discoveries and directly responsible for providing detailed reporting on these to the HQ based Consortium Finance & Compliance Manager
Finance & Administration coordinator
The Finance and Administration Coordinator will assist the MENTOR Initiative Central African Republic mission in achieving programme objectives in a timely manner and support the Country Director (CD) with the strategic development of responses to identified needs on the ground and donor funding opportunities. The consultant will establish, update and maintain the organisation’s standardised financial, administrative and human resource systems and processes in CAR, and will ensure the implementation of these at all levels of the organisation’s country programmes. In this context, the Finance and Admin Coordinator is part of the country management team.
Financial Coordination :
- Ensure that good quality finance and administration systems as per the standard MENTOR Initiative guidelines are functioning and maintained in the program
- Ensure correct account management for all grants in accordance with the grant agreement(s)
- Supervise and provide training on finance and administration procedures to the concerned staff members in the MENTOR Initiative
- Supervise the use and understanding of the MENTOR accountancy software by the concerned staff (local and international) in each field base.
- Ensure that all members of the MENTOR team are trained in and respect the MENTOR Finance and Administration procedures.
- Prepare monthly electronic and paper reports on expenditure against project budget(s) and send these together with all hardcopy receipts and other expenditure-related paperwork, including bank statements, to the MENTOR Initiative Grants Management Team at HQ level.
- Prepare monthly budget control overviews for each base in the mission
- Support the Country Director/Grants Manager with ensuring compliance to all Grant agreements for financial reporting and procurement. This includes field level compliance to all legal aspects of the grant agreement
- On the basis of cash available in-country, planned expenditure and budget available, ensure that regular Requests for Cash Advances are sent to the HQ grants manager.
- Overall responsible for salary / fee payments to all local team members including daily workers as required.
- Overall responsible for distributing ICLA and security cash (when required) to international team members as well as reimbursement of approved expenses.
- Maintain a MENTOR bank account in the programme country
- Attend monthly finance coordination meetings with other NGOs
- Follow up on all rental agreements for the MENTOR Initiative guesthouse(s), office(s), and vehicles, etc. and renew rental agreements when necessary
- Follow up on government demands and decrees that have direct impact on the mission’s work.
- When necessary, follow-up on the MENTOR Initiative’s registration in country with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other local actors
- Assists in external meetings (administration and Human Resource cluster, NGO forum etc) to represent The MENTOR Initiative when necessary. Minutes of meetings are to be set up and shared afterwards.
- Assist the CD with any other administrative tasks as required
- Directly responsible for all administrative aspects of local staff recruitment. This includes set up of non-technical job descriptions and assisting with the editing of technical job descriptions, posting adverts, organizing interviews, etc.
- Ensure that standard salary scale and per diem polices are in place and updated regularly upon validation from MENTOR Grants Management Team.
- Ensure compliance with all local government taxation and labour regulations concerning employment contracts.
- In collaboration with the CD, oversee that national staff adheres to The MENTOR Initiative contracts, sexual harassment policies and internal rules.
- Chair monthly meetings with national staff and follow up on demands and suggestions
- Assist in monthly meetings with national staff delegates
- In collaboration with the CD and other line managers, ensure that international team members respect internal rules and policies in relation to the management of national staff under their responsibility.
- Responsible for all expat administration including the role as focal point for international flights, holiday planning and contract changes (i.e. extensions)
- Focal point, in cooperation with the CD, for the national labour inspection (including for all legal complaints issued by national staff)
- Assist the CD with writing of Memorandums of Understanding
- When required, represent the MENTOR Initiative in external coordination meetings (including donor related meetings)
- At the request of the CD, provide finance/admin and/or human resources support during field or assessment missions.
Reporting / Proposal writing
- Advise and assist the CD in the creation of viable new proposals and budgets
- As part of the MT, draft budget proposals based on current and planned expenditure within the donors frame works.
- As required, assist the CD and the HQ grants manager with budget reporting to donors so that these are prepared and submitted in a timely manner, as per the grant agreements.
- Participate in the elaboration of regular internal situation reports (‘sitreps’) for subjects directly related to the responsibilities of the Finance and Administration Coordinator.
- A strong and demonstrable financial or accountancy background, with experience of managing complex budgets of multiple projects with tight timelines
- Experience of working in a financially-oriented role with an international NGO
- Experience of working in a conflict or fragile environment
- Experience of compiling financial reports for international donors, preferably DFID
- Confident communication skills, highly numerate, willing to adapt and learn, versatile
- Fluent in both written and spoken French (the main in-country language) and English (the main reporting language for the Consortium) – please do not apply without being fluent in both languages
- Willing to travel outside of Bangui to relative partner field sites where required
- A post-graduate degree in a relevant subject, including but not limited to finance, accounting, economics, business administration, public health economics, development economics
- Experience of having worked within CAR
- Experience of working on a DFID funded grant program
- Experience of working within a consortium
As The MENTOR Initiative is working in a constantly changing humanitarian aid environment, reasonable specific work duties may be requested that may not fit into the above job description, but which will help promote over all programs goals and aims. Includes the possibility of transfer to another similar post across MENTOR country programmes within the period of this contract agreement.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à email@example.com