Role & Responsibilities
Improve the overall nutrition situation of the target population. This involves implementing quality nutrition services and contributing to the effective management of the assigned nutrition project(s) in line with the objectives, budget and time frame laid down in the proposal(s). You are also in charge of writing daily and weekly reports, developing and ensuring good quality data collection, recording, analysis and storage, assisting with ensuring adequate stocks, and monitoring the overall nutrition situation in the area of intervention.
Medair Afghanistan is a complex and dynamic country programme due to instability related to politics and security. Medair has been operating in Afghanistan since 1996, is currently implementing multi-sectoral projects in nutrition, WASH and food security in vulnerable communities in Kabul, the Central Highlands and Southern Afghanistan. There are plans to expand the current programme into new areas and potentially new sectors, as well as growing and strengthening local partnerships.
Field based position in Kandahar, Afghanistan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
February 2018. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
· Continuously monitor nutrition activities including nutrition data collection and analysis to ensure the quality of the programme, evaluating progress against project objectives, involving the nutrition team in review and taking appropriate action as needed to ensure continued progress.
· Provide training and technical supervision of local staff in line with the Guidelines.
· Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
· Oversee the process of nutrition data collection, collation and dissemination to meet the requirements.
· Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities and indicator results for internal and external reports.
· Will serve as manager and reviewer of CMAM database and IPTT forms at field site level.
· Manage the assigned staff from the local nutrition team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
· Provide coaching and technical supervision to nutrition staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for nutrition activities. Ensure staff receive adequate technical supervision.
· Assess the training needs of nutrition staff and ensure that appropriate technical training is conducted.
· Ensure the team receives relevant supervision and training in order to develop their personal and professional skills, knowledge and understanding.
· Ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards.
· Assist in planning and constructing nutrition budgets for nutrition proposals.
Communication and Coordination
· Maintain appropriate and regular communication structures with the assigned nutrition team, managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, NGOs).
· Regularly crosscheck and triangulate logistics reports with program data and check consistency.
· Contribute to the procurement plan and ensure purchase requests are submitted in a timely manner.
· Manage the correct and timely ordering of needed stocks and supplies to the field location through regular review of stock cards, expiration dates and consumption in close coordination with logistics.
· Ensure that relevant items are stored and distributed correctly at the clinics.
· Oversee project data collection and analysis and make strategic decisions for improved efficiency and quality in coordination with country nutrition advisor.
· Implement policies and standards relating to nutrition service delivery including Sphere, CHS and HAP standards, national requirements and donor guidelines and other good practice.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· Degree or higher level qualification, preferably in nutrition or in another relevant field such as nursing/midwifery/doctor/ community-based training/Public Health/M&E.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
· 1 year experience working in a nutrition / health programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context; management experience in a nutrition / health context.
· Experience in the design, monitoring, implementation and evaluation of CMAM programmes.
· Knowledge and experience of nutrition / primary health care principles and management
· Good report writing, data collection, analysis, problem solving and capacity building skills.
· Experience in training, aptitude for community mobilisation, team-player, good inter-personal skills.
· Ability to manage project implementation. Excellent organisational skills and good report writing skills.
· This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
e) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
f) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications.
Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à firstname.lastname@example.org