Role & Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
Medair has been operating in the Central Highlands of Afghanistan for over ten years and is currently implementing a multi-sectorial project with Food Security (kitchen gardening and BCC) and WASH components. There are plans to expand the current project portfolio to other sectors, such as emergency cash programming and nutrition in a neighbouring Province.
Field based position in Central Highlands, Afghanistan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
June 2018. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
· Oversee the overall implementation of the designated project(s) in accordance with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
· Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated project(s), including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal.
· Support relevant Project Manager(s) in day-to-day decision making as requested.
· Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted.
· Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
· Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
· Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors and any other relevant bodies.
· Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
· Seek out and actively participate in relevant local networks or task groups on specific issues.
· Monitor and review the security status on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies.
· Ensure security plans and protocols are updated and implemented.
· Regularly review, and upgrade as necessary, the security infrastructure of the assigned base.
· Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects in accordance with donor guidelines.
· Ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, making any budget adjustment recommendations to the Country Director.
· Monitor the spending of the designated project(s) to ensure they operate in line guidelines.
· Working with and providing oversight to the PSM regarding base budgets and expenditure.
· Ensure all personnel related issues are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, etc.
· Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
· Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed
· Ensure designated project(s) are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc. Follow the direction of the relevant advisors at HQ regarding quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Humanitarian Assistance or Development Studies / Business Administration.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
· 1 year overseas work experience with an agency engaged in humanitarian aid.
· Experience of security management.
· Advanced leadership and project management skills. Experience in training / mentoring staff.
· Knowledge of international humanitarian guidelines. Good report/proposal writing skills.
· Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
· Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Creative, open-minded, flexible, Self-motivated, energetic.
· This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à firstname.lastname@example.org