Role & Responsibilities
Working as an important member of a diverse team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care the Shelter Manager has a vital role to play in providing shelter for the target population. This involves effectively managing the assigned shelter project(s) in line with the objectives, budget and timeframe laid down in the proposal(s). The role also includes enhancing beneficiary participation, managing and training local staff and planning and initiating new shelter projects/proposals.
Medair’s emergency response team and partner World Concern completed shelter and hygiene kit distributions for Rohingya refugees in November 2017, and World Concern/Medair is now transitioning into a phase 2 project to prepare for the upcoming monsoon season.
Field based position in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
February 2018. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
Technical Shelter Management
· Be responsible for the implementation, management, supervision and support of the assigned shelter projects in line with the activity plan and time frame of the relevant project proposals and any applicable national and international guidelines and standards.
· Manage the quality of training and construction of all shelter structures.
· Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted both against project objectives and to ensure the quality of the programme, with reports being made to the field managers.
· Work towards the continual improvement of the processes and the technical implementation of the shelter programme.
· Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
· Manage and oversee the assigned shelter team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
· Ensure the assigned shelter team members receive relevant and appropriate supervision, coaching, mentoring and training in order to develop their personal and professional skills, knowledge and understanding. This may be through on-the-job training and taught sessions.
· Promote the health and security of the shelter team by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
· Plan, construct and manage shelter budgets for the assigned shelter projects.
· Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the assigned shelter team, ensuring all required paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner.
Communication and Coordination
· Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned shelter team, Medair in-country and HQ shelter managers and advisers and other relevant stakeholders.
· Represent Medair at local coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies, NGO’s, etc.
· Manage the correct and timely ordering (within budgetary constraints) of all necessary shelter supplies and equipment for the assigned shelter activities, ensuring minimum stocks are maintained and items are stored and distributed correctly.
· Ensure the careful use, regular servicing and appropriate replacement of all shelter equipment, within budgetary constraints, for the assigned project(s).
· Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in civil engineering or in another relevant field such as architecture / engineering / construction management.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
· Good communicator, good report writing skills, excellent organisational skills, problem solving ability.
· Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
· Able to develop effective relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries, other agencies, etc.
· Able to manage project implementation, set clear objectives, prioritise clearly, enforce procedures, etc.
· Committed to consultative and servant-minded leadership. Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
· This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
e) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
f) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications.
Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à firstname.lastname@example.org