Role & Responsibilities
Plan, develop, monitor and evaluate the assigned shelter projects, assessing shelter needs, designing projects, writing proposals, initiating and effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction; meet quality standards in shelter delivery, encourage beneficiary participation, liaise with other stakeholders and manage and train shelter staff.
Medair’s emergency response team and partner World Concern completed shelter and hygiene kit distributions for Rohingya refugees in November 2017, and World Concern/Medair is now transitioning into a phase 2 project to prepare for the upcoming monsoon season.
Take a look at Medair’s Shelter & Infrastructure work.
Field based position in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
February 2018. Full time, 6 months.
Key Activity Areas
Shelter Project Management
· Manage the shelter projects in order to meet the project objectives within budget and time frame.
· Provide strong leadership of the assigned shelter projects, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities and local shelter staff.
· Develop and implement an appropriate and effective shelter strategy in consultation with other shelter staff and field managers.
· Set clear objectives and indicators for shelter activities in collaboration with the shelter staff, field managers and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
· Continuously monitor and supervise shelter activities, overseeing the technical design and execution and evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
· Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
· Line-manage the Shelter Managers of the assigned projects, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc. It may also be necessary to line manage other shelter staff.
· Manage the shelter budget for the assigned projects and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
· Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned shelter team, Medair in-country and HQ shelter managers and advisers and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
· Participate in shelter coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the shelter staff and field managers on relevant issues.
· Support the logistics activities of shelter staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of supplies and equipment for the assigned shelter activities.
· Liaise, as necessary, with the shelter, logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
· Ensure shelter projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in civil engineering or in another relevant field such as architecture / engineering / construction management.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
· Management experience in a construction context. Experience in training.
· Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP.
· Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
· Ability to manage project implementation, take initiatives, prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks.
· Good numerical, report writing and administration skills. Problem solving ability.
· Able to set clear objectives, delegate and enforce procedures.
· Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
· Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
· This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
e) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
f) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications.
Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à firstname.lastname@example.org