Role & Responsibilities
Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned health project(s), effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget with a focus on response to new crises requiring assessments and short-term interventions. Manage and oversee primary health care staff to meet international quality standards in health care delivery. Encourage beneficiary participation, liaise with other stakeholders, and anticipate, plan, and contribute to the development of new health project proposals and reports.
On August 1st, 2018, an Ebola outbreak was declared in Eastern DR Congo. As of 8th August, in Nord Kivu province the Ministry of Health reported a total of 44 cases (27 probable and 17 confirmed), with 54 suspected cases currently under investigation. Under the leadership of the Congolese Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation, Medair is completing preparedness and response work.
Medair’s emergency project targets displaced, insecurity affected and vulnerable populations in Nord Kivu Province, in Eastern Congo. The project will work in health centres supported by existing projects to ensure screening, isolation, and referral of suspected Ebola cases. This will contribute to containing the outbreak, and will facilitate the continued delivery of primary health services to people with severe health and nutrition needs. Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Beni, Democratic Republic of Congo.
Beni is the territory that is centre to the current Ebola outbreak. Interventions may be in remote and difficult to access areas for which the environment is physically challenging accessible on foot). The security context is complex and also requires constant monitoring. Visits to emergency locations will be expected.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 6 months
Key Activity Areas
Health Project Management
· Manage the project in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame.
· React quickly to crisis and organize appropriate assessments and responses.
· Contribute to the development and implementation of an appropriate health strategy.
· Continuously monitor and supervise health activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impact.
· Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
· Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according applicable timeframes and formats.
· Participate in the development of new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps.
· Reach out to other health actors to find those who can respond to needs which go beyond resources of Medair.
· Line-manage staff, including day-to-day management, development, etc.
· Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure awareness of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
· Provide coaching and technical supervision to staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility.
· Manage budget and ensure that all expenses are according to budget and meet Medair and donor standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
· Approve all project expenditures and expense coding. Ensure proper financial procedures are followed.
· Track expenses against project budgets. Draft annual budgets for health and emergency response projects.
Communication and Coordination
· Develop and maintain appropriate communication with the team and other relevant stakeholders.
· Participate in health coordination meetings, Medair internal trainings, and other working.
· Attend the weekly emergency preparedness and response meetings with other mobile actors.
· Proactively network and coordinate with the health cluster and health agencies to seek out opportunities.
· Review and update Project Coordination Agreements, Memorandum of Understanding and other.
· Ensure clear internal coordination within the ERT and with advisors, to increase multi-sector assessment.
· Ensure stock, purchase requests, cash forecasts and movement requests are submitted appropriately in Goma.
· Ensure health teams are adequately supported in the field – food, water, supplies, cash, etc.
· Support the logistics activities of health staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of medicines, supplies, etc.
· Liaise with the health and logistics staff to ensure that quality items are procured, transported, stored, etc.
Quality Management/Project Design
· Responsible for ensuring project implementation is according to Medair, donor, DRC and international guidelines.
· Responsible for setting objectives of emergency health assessments and interventions, monitoring progress, etc.
· Decide on new activities and new project sites and provide input regarding future project growth and changes.
· Improve the quality of the health project, to improve the quality of the assessments, monitoring and evaluation, implementation of Core Humanitarian Standards and protection mainstreaming.
· Develop and maintain health ERT resources to improve capacity for rapid response.
· Responsible for completing Security Risk Assessments for health interventions.
· Monitoring security situation for teams in the field and working with Projects Coordinator.
· Responsible for ensuring field team compliance with security procedures; ensure teams are equipped.
· Contribute to the ongoing monitoring of security situation.
· Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor), or Public Health degree
· Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years’ post-qualification nursing/medical professional experience.
· At least 1 year management experience in a health context. At least 1-2 years’ in health in developing country.
· Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building. Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff.
· Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
· Ability and willingness to manage project implementation. Able to take the initiative.
· Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standard.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications /
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à email@example.com