Role & Responsibilities
Working as a senior member of a diverse team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care the Project Coordinator manages the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
On August 1st, 2018, an Ebola outbreak was declared in Eastern DR Congo. As of 8th August, in Nord Kivu province the Ministry of Health reported a total of 44 cases (27 probable and 17 confirmed), with 54 suspected cases currently under investigation. Under the leadership of the Congolese Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation, Medair is completing preparedness and response work.
Medair’s emergency project targets displaced, insecurity affected and vulnerable populations in Nord Kivu Province, in Eastern Congo. The project will work in health centres supported by existing projects to ensure screening, isolation, and referral of suspected Ebola cases. This will contribute to containing the outbreak, and will facilitate the continued delivery of primary health services to people with severe health and nutrition needs.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Beni, Democratic Republic of Congo.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 2 to 6 months
Key Activity Areas
· Ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
· Manage activity plan for the designated project(s), including resource needs analysis, time frame, etc.
· Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted.
· Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects.
· Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
· Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
· Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors, line managers, etc.
· Ensure all documents are produced and filed according to Medair and donor guidelines.
· Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at meetings.
· Seek out and actively participate in relevant local networks or task groups on specific aid issues.
· Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted.
· Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects in accordance with donor guidelines.
· Ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within timeframe.
· Monitor the spending to ensure they operate in line guidelines for financial accounting and reporting.
· Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development, disciplinary action, etc.
· Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching.
· Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
· Promote the health and security of the staff by ensuring the application of security guidelines.
· Monitor and review the security status of the area(s) of operation on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies.
· Ensure all staff members and all visitors receive appropriate briefings in security-related topics.
· Train and support relevant Project Manager(s) in security planning, management and implementation.
· Ensure project(s) are implemented in line with donor requirements and with international standards.
· Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment
· Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Leadership and project management skills.
· Good report and proposal writing skills. Good negotiation skills. Problem solving ability.
· Consultative and servant leadership with excellent communication skills and training willingness.
· Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
· Dynamic, creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner, self-motivated and hard-working.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à firstname.lastname@example.org