Role & Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities. The projects include Emergency Health Response, Shelter and WASH Assistance with a strong emphasis on Cash based interventions and integrated psychosocial programming. The Iraq programme operates within the Medair Middle East programme, collaboration, coordination and shared learning of projects is expected within the region. The base for this role from where Medair works in its three sectors of expertise: health, Shelter and Wash, is currently being moved to Mosul.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Dohuk with a transition to Mosul, Iraq.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 3 months
Key Activity Areas
· Oversee the overall implementation of the designated projects in accordance with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
· Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated projects, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal.
· Support relevant Project Managers in day-to-day decision making as requested.
· Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted.
· Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects both in current sites and in surrounding regions. This may include baseline needs assessments.
· Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
· Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
· Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors and line managers.
· Ensure all relevant documents related to the designated projects are produced and filed.
· Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
· Actively participate in relevant local networks or task groups on specific humanitarian aid issues.
· Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted in a timely and professional manner.
· Support field staff with humanitarian negotiations and expanding humanitarian access.
· Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects.
· Ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, making any budget adjustment recommendations to the Deputy Country Director.
· Monitor the spending of the designated projects to ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
· Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated projects are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, etc.
· Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching.
· Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
· Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated projects.
· Monitor and review the security status of the areas of operation on a regular basis.
· Ensure all staff members working for the designated projects and all visitors receive appropriate briefings and on-going training in security-related topics.
· Ensure security plans and protocols for the areas of operation are updated and implemented.
· Train and support Project Managers in security planning, management and implementation.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
· Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines.
· Advanced leadership and project management skills.
· Experience and willingness in training/mentoring staff.
· Good report and proposal writing skills, good negotiation skills. Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
· Creative, open-minded, flexible. Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à firstname.lastname@example.org