Role & Responsibilities
Oversee the provision of the logistical support for the programme. Is responsible for ensuring an effective supply chain is in place at all times, and that standard logistics and related administrative systems are established and implemented within Medair country programmes. The role provides strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of logistics, ensuring relevant information, reporting and accountability requirements are met. Also plays an important role in external representation, legal compliance, team leadership and capacity building of logistics staff.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Dohuk, Ninewa, Kirkuk and Salah-al-Din. Projects include the sectors Health, WASH, Shelter and NFI Assistance, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance. The programme in Iraq operates within the Medair Middle East Regional programme.
Field based position in Erbil, Iraq. With some travel to other bases.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Logistics Management – Supply chain
· Oversee the procurement process, including medical procurement, in accordance with Medair policies and procedures, in a transparent, accountable, efficient and cost effective manner.
· Provide planning support and advice to project managers and others making procurement requests, identify optimum supply routes, and maintain continuous overview of supply needs by providing updated procurement and fulfilment plans in alignment with project activity plans and timelines.
· Ensure that local market surveys are regularly carried out, to ensure a full knowledge of the availability and price of local items.
· Ensure supplier qualification procedures are adhered to and a supplier database created and maintained reflecting supplier status.
Logistics Management – Resources
· Ensure the management of vehicle fleet is in line with Medair standards. Ensure appropriate allocation, safe use and maintenance schedules are adhered to, etc.
· Supervise all types of equipment and assets including communication, IT and power, to ensure that equipment are managed diligently, operated in the most cost efficient manner, and maintained appropriately.
· Support the proper management of existing field bases, establishment of new ones and closing of existing ones if required.
· Implement and update logistics aspects of security plan to ensure resources and facilities are ready at all times for either hibernation or evacuation.
· Ensure regular backups are done for all computers throughout the programme and that virus updates and routine computer maintenance is carried out.
· Proactively engage with suppliers, partners, local authorities, other NGOs, clusters and any other stakeholders, in order to plan, organize, and schedule distribution of goods and material.
· Manage staff with integrity and foresight, and in accordance with HR procedures and policies to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism.
· Ensure that all logistics and relevant programme staff are adequately trained.
· Review, develop and implement systems to improve transparency. Ensure adequate anti-fraud procedures are in place to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
· Ensure projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· Professional certificate or degree in Supply Chain Management.
· Certification in Medical Logistics. Security training.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
· Minimum one year logistics and management experience in emergency and / or development context.
· Multiple years’ experience in management and logistics in other contexts.
· Experience of budget management and the ability to prepare complete and accurate financial reports.
· Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferably in the logistics sector.
· Advanced planning, coordination, assessment, analytical and problem solving skills.
· Technical understanding of mechanical and communication equipment.
· Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
· Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
· Strong organisational abilities, excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
e) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
f) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications.
Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à firstname.lastname@example.org