Role & Responsibilities
Plan and implement Preparedness interventions in vulnerable informal settlements in the Bekaa Valley, working closely with refugee communities to understand their assets and vulnerabilities, and to increase their resilience. The post holder will coordinate Medair’s response to rapid onset emergencies at the site level (e.g. floods, fire, evictions) in the Bekaa, working closely with all stakeholders, including refugee communities, local authorities, other humanitarian agencies, UNHCR and donors.
Working with a partner agency, Medair will provide urgent assistance to vulnerable refugee households and settlements in the Bekaa Valley under three core pillars: household level crisis response, providing shelter and protection assistance to vulnerable households, identified through ongoing needs assessments; site level Preparedness in informal settlements, working with refugee communities, selected through ongoing assessments and disaster risk mapping; and site level emergency response, providing urgent assistance in rapid onset emergencies, such as floods, fires and evictions.
Field based position in Bekaa Valley, Lebabon.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
May 2018. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
· Manage the project activities, budget, and oversee staff teams in area of operation, as designated.
· Provide technical assistance on Preparedness to the Lebanon programme.
· Coordinate and seek advice from Medair sector advisors (e.g. Shelter and WASH) in project implementation, particularly in respect to technical standards and monitoring and evaluation.
· Update, plan, schedule and supervise project activities – regularly updating the Programme of Works.
· Prepare and adhere to multi-sectoral Standard Operation Procedures for Preparedness and Emergency Response Mechanism – working in close coordination with partner agency and other stakeholders.
· Prepare the necessary technical tools for Preparedness for the implementation of the project.
· In the event of a site level emergency, provide coordination and management for Medair emergency response teams, providing multi-sectoral and integrated responses, and representing the NGO Partnership to external stakeholders.
· Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities, internal and external, according to requirements.
· Ensure sector integration, learning, sharing and adoption of best practices.
· Ensure effective integration of gender, protection, environment and other core mainstreaming issues into the project.
Project Logistics & Finance Management
· Ensure resources needed for the project are on site and managed according to procedures.
· Oversee job descriptions, recruitment, appraisals, and line manage designated project staff.
· Identify training needs, and capacity building activities, and carry out training.
· Responsible for the safety and security of Medair assets and personnel on sites of operation.
· Monitor the field security situation, and ensure Medair’s security SOPs are adhered to at all times.
· Represent Medair at coordination meetings and through relationships with external stakeholders.
· Coordinate with partner agency on the planning and implementation of Preparedness and emergency response activities, and provide leadership during rapid onset emergency response.
· Attend weekly coordination meetings in Medair office and ensure that key messages are shared.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· Higher level degree in Humanitarian Aid, Shelter (e.g. engineering or architecture), WASH, or in a relevant subject. Or post-graduate degree in the humanitarian sector, engineering or related disciple.
· Fluent in English (spoken and written). Ability to speak or learn local language (Arabic) desirable.
Experience / Competencies
· 5 years post-qualification experience in a project management position.
· 2 year overseas work experience in relief work with an NGO, preferably in Preparedness and/or Emergency Response, or specialising in Shelter or WASH sectors.
· Experience in PASSA or other work methodologies in Preparedness at the community level and / or with community engagement.
· Understanding of the F-diagram.
· Experience monitoring and executing WASH activities, execution and evaluation of progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
· Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS).
· Diplomacy in dealing with government officials and local leaders.
· Excellent report and proposal writing skills.
· Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, and servant-hearted.
· Team-player with good interpersonal skills; committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
· This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.