Role & Responsibilities
Responsible for the overall management of the Medair office in Zahle, he or she provides strategic leadership and direction for the Zahle programme, and oversight of all Medair projects and activities, working closely with project managers, managers, and thematic leads. The Project Coordinator is responsible for external coordination at the field level – liaising with other humanitarian agencies, coordination bodies, and donor field offices. From time to time, the Project Coordinator is expected to cover for the Country Director and to attend national level meetings and donor meetings in Beirut.
Medair Lebanon is responding to the Syrian refugee crisis in Lebanon by delivering emergency humanitarian assistance to Syrian refugees and host communities in Bekaa. Projects are in the sectors of Health, Shelter, Information Management and Mapping, Cash, and WASH. The Project Coordinator leads a large team (around 80 individuals) of national and international staff providing interventions throughout the Bekaa Valley.
Field based position in Zahle, Lebanon.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
September 2018. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
· Oversee the overall implementation of the designated projects in accordance with the project proposals, ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
· Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated projects, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frames of the project proposals.
· Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted and reports made.
· Maintain an overview of the country context with a view to the strategic development of new projects.
· Maintain an overview of the wider regional context with a view to the potential impact on Medair strategy of the Middle East Region and report any relevant information.
· Develop and produce new concepts and proposals, in coordination with the Program Funding Manager.
· Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
· Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs or partners) and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
· Support Project Managers to construct the budgets for the designated projects.
· Ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, making any budget adjustment recommendations.
· Monitor the spending of the designated projects to ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
· Direct line management of assigned staff.
· Ensure that all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated projects are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, etc.
· Monitor and review, with the national security officer, the security status of the areas of operation on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies. Make reports, as appropriate, to the in-country Security Focal Point.
· Ensure security plans and protocols for the areas of operation are updated and implemented in response to changes in the security situation.
· Ensure designated projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and CHS standards, WHO recommendations, etc.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· Degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· At least 2 years’ post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
· At least 5 years’ management experience. Strong experience in monitoring and evaluation.
· At least 2 years’ experience working in field-based humanitarian context.
· Capacity to work under pressure. Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field.
· Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and CHS Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
· Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
· Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Good report and proposal writing skills.
· Good negotiation skills. Problem solving ability.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
e) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
f) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications.
Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à firstname.lastname@example.org