Role & Responsibilities
Assist and supervise the direct implementation of nutrition programme, which includes screening, clinical management of severe and moderate acute malnutrition, community mobilisation and Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF). Provide supervision and training for local staff to ensure provision of an effective, quality nutrition programme. The Nutrition Manager is also responsible to write reports and maintain data records, ensure availability of adequate programme supplies and monitor the overall health and nutrition situation of malnourished children under five years and pregnant and lactating women.
Medair implements Community Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) focusing on children under five years and pregnant lactating women. Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Field Vacancies are based in a capital city or a field base in one of our programmes in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, D.R. Congo, Iraq, Madagascar, Nepal, Myanmar, Somalia, South Sudan and Syria. We do not have nutrition programming in all our field operations.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
Applicants for this generic role will be contacted if a positions opens that seems to be a good match to their profile. Contract length normally ranges from (a minimum of) 12 months to 2 years, at 100%.
Key Activity Areas
· Be responsible for the implementation, management and support of the CMAM programme.
· Conduct regular supervision in the nutrition clinic sites to support staff with on the job training and ensuring quality of service delivery.
· Provide training for local staff in line with the appropriate national and international guidelines.
· Clinical management of medical complications of malnourished children.
· Implement participatory Behaviour Change Communication methods in nutrition project.
· Support integration of nutrition services with available health, WASH, psychosocial (PSS) interventions
· Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
· Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for internal and external requirements.
· Assist in the recruitment of local field staff within the intervention location following all HR policies of Medair and the local government.
· Line manage and oversee the nutrition staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, performance management, etc.
· Ensure the assigned nutrition team members receive relevant and appropriate supervision, mentoring and training in order to develop their personal and professional skills, knowledge and understanding.
· Work with the Project Manager and the Project Support Manager to manage finances within the project and payment of salaries.
· Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements, ensuring required paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner.
Communication & Coordination
· Represent Medair at relevant local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs.
· Manage the correct and timely ordering of required nutrition supplies to the field location in coordination with the Project Manager and responsible logistics person.
· Manage all stocks within the field locations ensuring proper stock management systems are in place.
· Monitor nutrition stock expiration dates in the field locations to ensure timely use or redistribution to other Medair programmes/other appropriate parties.
· Implement relevant policies relating to nutrition service delivery including Sphere and HAP standards.
· Participate as requested in Medair internal workshops and distance learning sessions.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· Degree in Nutrition.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
· Working knowledge of French (spoken and written) for French-speaking locations.
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years post-qualification nursing / medical professional experience.
· Experience working in a nutrition programme in a developing country, preferably within a
· Able to develop good relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries, agencies, etc. Good communicator.
· Ability and willingness to manage project implementation. Excellent organisational skills.
· Able to prioritise clearly. Able to enforce procedures. Able to set clear objectives and delegate.
· Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
· This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à email@example.com