Role & Responsibilities
Coordinate and manage the base support functions including general administration, base management, finance, human resources, logistics and security. With line management responsibility for staff involved in support roles the Project Support Manager also represents Medair at relevant meetings with contractors, local authorities, NGOs and other stakeholders.
Myanmar has experienced more than six decades of internal conflict and violence, with the most recent conflict in Rakhine state causing over 650,000 Muslim people to flee to bordering Bangladesh and thousands estimated to have been killed at the end of August 2017. On top of this, Myanmar has one of the highest risk indexes in the world and northern Rakhine state is particularly exposed to hazards such as cyclones and seasonal flooding. Over the past 10 years the people of Myanmar have endured three powerful cyclones, two significant earthquakes, heavy flooding, and deadly landslides.
Field based position in Maungdaw, Rakhine state, Myanmar.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
March 2018. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Project Support Management
· Set-up the new base in Maungdaw and potentially supervise support operations remotely.
· Ensure the smooth running of the base in Maungdaw including staff supervision, security, maintenance and liaison with landlords, contractors and suppliers.
· Supervise all financial activities to ensure external audit requirements are met.
· Ensure all internal financial controls are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed.
· Oversee all human resource activities, supporting line managers as required in areas such as recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action, etc.
· Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to, including contracts, statutory deductions, record keeping, etc.
· Support staff by managing the supply chain, vehicles, IT equipment and the training of logistics staff.
· Ensure accurate and efficient procedures are maintained in logistics, particularly in the areas of procurement, storage and transportation.
· Monitor that regular computer back-ups, virus updates and routine maintenance are carried out and provide IT trouble-shooting if required.
· Work with field managers and Yangon staff in the preparation and development of budgets for support and shared costs, ensuring they meet all relevant Medair and donor requirements.
· Manage and track expenditure of assigned budget(s), ensuring spending is in accordance with donor requirements and time frames and notifying the relevant field managers of any necessary adjustments.
· Draw up, manage and periodically review contracts between Medair and external suppliers, ensuring they remain valid and relevant and that the terms and conditions are followed.
· Submit accurate and timely internal reports as required by field management and HQ and contribute on request to external reports.
· Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all transactions, that records are kept in an orderly and timely fashion and that the filing (archive) system is in line with Medair requirements.
· Manage and oversee the assigned project support staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
· Maintain a transparent and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
· Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
· Review, develop and implement systems to improve transparency and to prevent loss or fraud.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional / technical qualification.
· Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· Post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
· Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
· Strong organisational and time management skills. Good numerical and report writing skills.
· Ability to be patient with bureaucracy and to live with uncertainty; diplomatic personality.
· Consultative management style. Accountable decision maker. Problem solving ability.
· Excellent communicator. Coaching and training skills.
· Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
· Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-starter.
· This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à firstname.lastname@example.org