Role & Responsibilities
Manage all aspects of the implementation and development of the programme and support functions to facilitate the implementation of the country strategy. Provide leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair programmes. Play a key role in external representation, legal compliance grant management, programme coordination and team leadership.
Multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Primary Health Care, Health and Hygiene Promotion, Water and Sanitation and NFI distributions across fixed and emergency response locations. Goal is to assist in improving health and water and sanitation conditions for vulnerable people in South Sudan.
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
March 2018. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
· Deputise for the Country Director in their absence.
· Oversee programme implementation in consultation with the relevant senior field managers (programme and programme support) and in accordance with the project proposals, ensure objectives are met within the required time frames and budgets. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
· Facilitate cross cutting communications with all country teams implementing and supporting the programme plans.
· Support field managers in all aspects of finance, administrative, human resource and logistics management, ensuring knowledge of and adherence to applicable operational systems, donor requirements and country programme strategy.
· Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines, as appropriate and with the relevant field managers and HQ staff, so as to enhance the smooth running of the programmes through standardised procedures and improved support.
· Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the programme, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frames of the project proposals.
· Represent Medair at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, field managers and HQ.
· Supervise the project budget management and expenditure, in collaboration with field managers and HQ staff, ensuring budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations.
· Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development.
· Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
· Review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
· Ensure country programmes are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
· 1 year post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
· Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
· Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
· Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Experience in training/mentoring staff.
· Advanced leadership and management skills; ability to build trust and enforce procedures.
· Team-player with good inter-personal skills; committed to team-building.
· Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.
· Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
· This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à email@example.com