Role & Responsibilities
Work as part of the Emergency Response Team (ERT) to achieve the overall goal of reducing excess morbidity and mortality in South Sudan by delivering quality emergency health care in all ERT locations. This will be by participating in rapid health assessments and assisting in the project design and direct implementation of health interventions. These may include setting up and running health facilities, conducting vaccination campaigns, and outbreak response. Health managers provide supervision and training to local staff to capacity build them to implement the programmes. Other aspects of the role include data management and report writing, stock management, and coordination with other partners to monitor the overall health situation in the country. The health manager is to provide supervision to the various emergency responses to ensure patients are diagnosed and treated according to the Ministry of Health Guidelines.
To reduce morbidity and mortality of vulnerable and displaced populations in South Sudan by providing preventive and curative primary health care treatment, or respond to outbreak diseases through case management or mass vaccination campaigns. Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
· Carry out assessments to locations with newly identified emergency needs using standardized reporting tools to identify gaps and need for potential response.
· Responsible for the implementation, management, supervision and support of the assigned health field interventions in line with the activity plan and time frame of the relevant project proposal and any applicable national and international guidelines and standards.
· Oversee the process of data collection, collation and dissemination to meet the requirements and deadlines set by Medair and/or external partners.
· Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for internal and external reports (e.g. weekly, monthly, quarterly and final reports) as requested by field managers, HQ and donors.
· Assist the Project Manager to manage and oversee the assigned local health team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc. The team may include certified health staff.
· Act as team leader for relocatable staff team at field sites; responsible for day to day planning, regular communication with Project Manager, coordination of staff and reporting, ensuring quality of programming and security management.
· Assist in the recruitment of local field staff within the intervention location following all HR policies of Medair and the Government of South Sudan.
· Ensure the assigned health team members receive relevant and appropriate supervision, coaching, mentoring and training in order to develop their personal and professional
· Work with the Project Manager to manage finances within the field location in line with the project budget.
Communication and coordination
· Maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned health team, Medair in-country health managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs).
· Work alongside logistics staff in the field to coordinate transportation, base set-up and management, and all stock management. Ensure proper stock-keeping records are in place.
· Implement, as far as is possible within operational constraints, relevant policies and standards relating to health service delivery including Sphere and HAP standards, Ministry of Health and donor guidelines and other good practice.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor)
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years post-qualification nursing / medical professional experience.
· Experience working in a health programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context.
· Ability to manage project implementation and to work effectively in a wide variety of situations.
· Able to develop relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries, other agencies and local authorities.
· Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
· Team-player with good inter-personal skills and excellent organisational skills.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à email@example.com