Role & Responsibilities
Responsible for ensuring an effective supply chain is in place at all times, and that standard logistics and related administrative systems are established and implemented within Medair country programmes. The role provides strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of logistics, ensuring relevant information; reporting and accountability requirements are met. The LM also plays an important role in external representation, legal compliance, team leadership and capacity building of logistics staff.
Multi-sector relief and rehabilitation programme including: provision of primary and emergency health care, water and sanitation, and non-food items and emergency shelter to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations of South Sudan.
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
Logistics Management – Supply chain
· Provide technical oversight and ensure proper supply chain management practices and procedures are in place and maintained according to Medair standards.
· Proactively engage with key staff to ensure project planning and budgeting incorporates adequate funding for logistics capacity and resources. Provide support for, and carry out logistics assessments.
· Provide planning support and advice, identify optimum supply routes, and maintain continuous overview of supply needs by providing updated procurement and fulfilment plans.
· Oversee warehouse operations ensuring proper record keeping, storage and issuing of items, physical inventory checks, storage conditions, security and facility maintenance.
· Ensure international and national transportation of freight; ensuring the most cost effective and reliable means of transport is used.
· Maintain accurate filing systems, with documented and supported records of logistics transactions for audit purposes, and submit logistics reports with Medair policies and procedures.
Logistics Management – Resources
· Ensure appropriate allocation and safe use of vehicles and ensure servicing and maintenance schedules are adhered to. Liaise with security personnel on security-related transport issues.
· Coordinate all matters regarding equipment and assets including communication, IT and power, to ensure that equipment are managed diligently, operated in the most cost efficient manner, and maintained appropriately.
· Support the proper management of existing field bases, establishment of new ones and closing of existing ones if required.
· Implement and update logistics aspects of security plan to ensure resources and facilities are ready at all times for either hibernation or evacuation.
· Engage with suppliers, local authorities, etc, in order to organize, and schedule distribution as well as to ensure good coordination and information sharing, address common concerns and seek solutions.
· Compile and validate the logistics component of all base and project budgets.
· Ensure good communication and cooperation between the Logistics and Finance departments.
· Manage staff with integrity and in accordance with HR procedures to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism. This includes recruitment, appraisal, etc.
· Ensure staff are trained and create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching.
· Promote and use the Medair file storing and sharing systems, ensuring guidelines are followed.
· Implement systems to improve transparency. Ensure adequate anti-fraud procedures are in place. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
· Ensure projects are supported in line with donor proposals and international standards.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· Professional qualification in logistics or training in Supply Chain Management, Business Management or a related field
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· Minimum two years logistics and management experience in emergency or development context
· Experience of budget management and the ability to prepare accurate financial reports.
· Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferably in the logistics sector
· Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
· Advanced planning, coordination, assessment, analytical and problem solving skills.
· Technical understanding of mechanical and communication equipment.
· Strong leadership and project management skills. Able to oversee multiple tasks, priorities/delegate.
· Ability to represent Medair with UN organisations, other international NGO’s and local authorities.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
· This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à firstname.lastname@example.org