Role & Responsibilities
Key to the efficient and effective running of the country programme. This roving, varied and challenging role involves covering support (administrative, base, finance, human, logistics) and programmes gaps (in as much as they do not have further technical requirements) where needed.
Multi-sector relief and rehabilitation programme including: provision of primary and emergency health care, water and sanitation, and non-food items and emergency shelter to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations of South Sudan.
Field based position in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
March 2018. Full time, 12 months
Key Activity Areas
General Project Management
· Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned projects. This involves effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, time frame and budget with a focus on system strengthening, training and coordination.
· Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction.
· Manage and train staff to meet quality standards in programme delivery.
· Anticipate, plan, and contribute to the development of new project proposals and reports.
Programme Funding & Proposal Writing
· Provide support in researching new funding sources, preparing specific bids, proposals and reports for submission to institutional donors as well as donor relationship management and maintenance of appropriate information systems.
· Providing strategic support, monitoring and evaluation of programmes, supporting grant coordination.
Roving Project Support Management
· Facilitate cross cutting communications with the programme teams supporting programme strategy through the support functions.
· Supervise financial activities to ensure all cash management needs, reporting deadlines and internal and external audit requirements are met.
· Ensure internal financial controls are in place and that Medair and donor guidelines are followed.
· Oversee human resource activities, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action, etc.
· Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to.
· Provide logistical support to programme staff and field bases, including managing the supply chain, vehicles, assets, IT and communication equipment and the training of logistics staff.
· Ensure accurate procedures are maintained in logistics (procurement, storage and transportation).
· Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines, so as to enhance the smooth running of the programmes through standardised procedures and improved support. This may include finance and governance procedures, staff management, fleet management and IT security and infrastructure.
· Represent Medair at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, field managers and HQ.
· Ensure security procedures are in place, guidelines are kept up-to-date and staff receive relevant security information. Review security arrangements on a regular basis, maintaining communication, providing briefings and ensuring the availability of emergency equipment.
· Attend relevant external coordination and security meetings and feedback information, as applicable, to the appropriate managers and staff.
· Develop staff to improve their knowledge competence and performance.
· When covering for Project Support Manager or Project Manager, manage and oversee the staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· Degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· 5 years of post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
· Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
· Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
· Dynamic and mature personality, able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
· Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills.
· Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
· This is a roving role, covering gaps and providing additional support where needed.
· Working and living conditions may vary per site and be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.