Role & Responsibilities
Working as a senior member of a diverse team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care the Project Coordinator manages the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
Medair’s project in Renk provides Primary Health Care, Emergency Nutrition services, access to safe water and sanitation and Behaviour Change services to returnees, IDPs and host communities, targeting over 100,000 people.
Field based position in Renk, South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
October 2018. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
· Oversee the overall implementation of the designated project(s) in consultation with the relevant Project Manager(s) and in accordance with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken
· Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated project(s), including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal.
· Support relevant Project Manager(s) in day-to-day decision making as requested.
· Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted and reports made to the relevant in-country or HQ managers or to donors.
· Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects both in current sites and in surrounding regions. This may include baseline needs assessments.
· Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
· Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects, in collaboration with the relevant Project Manager(s) and Sector Advisers in accordance with donor guidelines.
· Working with the relevant Project Manager(s), ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, making any budget adjustment recommendations to the Deputy Country Director, Programmes.
· Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated project(s) are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, etc. If applicable, work with the relevant Project Manager(s) and the Project Support Manager.
· Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching and through the promotion of capacity building of local staff.
· Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated project(s) by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
· Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
· Ensure security plans and protocols for the area(s) of operation are updated and implemented in response to changes in the security situation.
· Ensure designated project(s) are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
· Experience and willingness in training/mentoring staff.
· Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
· Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Good negotiation, report and proposal writing skills. Excellent communication skills. Problem solving ability.
· Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
· Advanced leadership and project management skills. Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
· This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
d) Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the « Current Vacancies » page then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à email@example.com