Role & Responsibilities
Manage all the human resources processes related to recruiting international staff for Medair’s field programmes. Particular focus on recruitment, staff policy development, co-ordination of training and general staff well-being. All HR activities are conducted in line with Medair policies and procedures and in accordance with local employment legislation and practice.
Medair Headquarters (HQ) provides operational guidance for country programmes and activities, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes. Our headquarters teams are also responsible for recruiting international and HQ staff, and like our field teams, we are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Based in Medair Headquarters, Ecublens, near Lausanne, Switzerland.
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, 6 months contract
Key Activity Areas
Human Resources Management for Internationally Recruited Staff
· Identify staffing needs, manage and co-ordinate the recruitment process for new positions, preparing vacancies, drawing up short-lists, interviewing potential candidates and making appointments. Active participation in the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC).
· Provide pre-assignment programme specific information.
· Ensure recruited staff have a current employment contract in line with Swiss labour laws.
· Ensure relevant HR documentation is made available to staff.
· Work with line managers to ensure new staff receive a relevant and appropriate country briefing and that a full induction and handover is carried out.
· Support the field Country Director (CD) and HR Manager (HRM) in overseeing staff wellbeing, providing confidential and relevant feedback as requested.
· Monitor performance management to ensure line managers conduct performance reviews within the required timeframes.
· Support line management as necessary in disciplinary action and grievance procedures, ensure that the correct procedures are followed and records are kept in accordance with Medair guidelines.
· Organise appropriate debriefing, if required, at end of contract or following any critical incident.
· Ensure exit interviews are carried out and appropriate records are kept when individuals leave Medair
· Ability to travel at least once per year to each assigned field project location to provide member care assessments and meet with senior staff members.
· Training and team building when requested.
· Review of facilities and report any concerns or improvements that could benefit staff wellbeing
Training & Development
· Facilitate staff training by working with managers to identify training needs and maintain records.
· Source training opportunities as appropriate, working within budgetary and operational constraints.
· Provide CD and HRM, advice, mentoring and coaching on performance management.
· Process required visas or work permits when necessary.
· Ensure the preparation, payment and record-keeping of staff salaries are done in a timely manner.
· Ensure all staff have a personnel file containing all relevant documentation and information.
· Ensure all staff HR files are archived according to Medair policy and any donor requirements.
· Maintain other work-related records and documentation according to programme procedures. This may include staff plans, holidays, sickness, training records, insurance, pensions, taxes, etc.
· Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed
HR Systems Development & Administration
· Lead and manage assigned HR projects, track progress and deliver outputs on schedule. Optimise key admin. processes, policies, procedures and information systems in collaboration with the HR Manager.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
· University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional qualification/experience.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
· Strong working knowledge of French (spoken and written) desirable.
Experience / Competencies
· 1-2 years of relevant professional experience in administration / human resources position.
· Previous experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in the HR sector.
· Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
· Diplomatic in interactions with local authorities.
· Able to develop, coach and support other team members.
· Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills.
· Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
Profiles sought for International Headquarters staff
· Experienced Relief Workers and those without field experience.
· Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise.
· Overseas intercultural work experience desirable.
· Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
· Able to work in a multicultural team.
· Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty.
Benefits Package provided to International Headquarters Staff
· Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position.
· Annual leave; Accident insurance and pension.
· Death and disability insurance; Health insurance for loss of earnings.
· A motivating work environment.
· The opportunity to work in a Christian organisation where your contributions make a difference for the world’s most vulnerable.
· Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
· This is a HQ based position in Lausanne Switzerland.
· Field visits may be required to travel up to 3-4 weeks a year.
· Due to required field visits, the position-holder will need to successfully complete the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) during the first year of contract.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
To apply, then:
b) go to our Current Vacancies page
c) and apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.