Role & Responsibilities
Develop and strengthen Medair’s logistics capacity in the area of Logistics Country Program Support, Procurement, and contribute to the professional development of logistics within Medair. You will also be a key member of Medair’s Global Emergency Response Team (G-ERT) and available to deploy to emergency responses within 24 hours for a specific period of time. When deployed the Logistics officer will have specific responsibility for ensuring standard logistics and related administrative systems are established and implemented within Medair country programmes or emergency response and that an effective supply chain is in place at all times. The Logistics Officer is responsible for all aspects of establishing logistics systems (procurement, warehousing, transport, fleet, equipment, facilities) including staffing and coordination with other functions.
The role will be required to fill gaps for key logistics positions across the organisation, in non-emergency programmes, existing chronic emergencies and will be required to respond to sudden onset emergencies with the G-ERT. It is also envisioned that the role may be asked to assist in the field in a mentoring/coaching capacity for new staff.
The Logistics Officer will be deployed to various country programmes for varying time periods ranging from 3 weeks up to 2 months. It is estimated that the role will be deployed to a maximum of 60% of the time. In between deployments the role may work from home whilst also expected to spend time in our Headquarters in Ecublens, Switzerland. A specific Terms of Reference will be written for each assignment to detail the specific tasks and responsibilities during deployment.
Medair HQ, Lausanne, Switzerland, with up to 60% travel time.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
Part time: 80%
Key Activity Areas
· Act as the logistics manager/officer in the country when filling a position gap by providing the technical oversight and ensure proper supply chain management practices and procedures are in place and maintained according to Medair standards – to include sourcing and procurement, warehousing, transportation and management of logistics resources in fleet, equipment and facilities. Provide logistical support to all field bases by regular communication and, if required, field visits.
· Participate in programme planning, and advise on logistics considerations. Provide input for project design and budgeting to ensure adequate logistics capacity and resource needs are identified to meet project requirements. Provide support for assessments. Ensure appropriate planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of logistics operations.
· Ensure that all standard logistics tools are in place and used within the countries and relationship is in place with HQ logistics advisors.
· Manage all staff and ensure that all logistics and relevant programme staff are adequately trained. If necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching. Provide cross training to project managers and other staff.
· Deploy within 24 hours on the wave 1 of emergency response team for sudden onset disaster.
· Assess the logistical environment of the visited areas.
· Assess potential suppliers and design a supply chain option for the procurement & stock management of goods and the implementation of potential quick impact project
· Identify potential GIK or procurement options for NFIs required for the distribution To participate to need assessments and set-up distribution of NFIs
· Set up a base, communication, warehouse, transportation and hire local staff.
· Build up a strong network in the field with the main stakeholders who can advise Medair in terms of logistics and participate to the logistics cluster.
· Coordinate with the emergency team leader and HQ logistics manager on a daily basis.
· Ensure proper supply chain management practices and procedures are in place and maintained according to Medair standards as well as financial procedures (human safe).
· Provide logistical input and recommendations for a possible Medair intervention in line with Medair’s strategy focusing on the implementation of quick impact actions (QIA).
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
· Professional qualification in logistics or training in Supply Chain Management, Business Management or a related field.
· Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). French is an asset.
Experience / Competencies
· Minimum two years relevant logistics and management experience in humanitarian emergency context and/or development context at a coordination level.
· Experience in humanitarian logistics systems, policies and procedures.
· Work with large institutional donors and being familiar with their rules and regulations.
· Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
· Advanced planning, coordination, assessment, analytical and problem solving skills.
· Leadership and project management skills. Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritizing and delegating.
· Good numerical and report writing skills with attention to detail. Communications skills.
· Technical understanding of mechanical and communication equipment including VHF, satellite phones.
· Represent Medair with UN organizations, other international NGO’s and local authorities worldwide.
· Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
· For more senior / technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Profiles sought for International Headquarters staff.
c) Benefits Package provided for International Headquarters staff.
a) go to our Current Vacancies page
b) and apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à email@example.com